Canal du Midi Cruise Itinerary Between Béziers and Carcassonne
Day 1, Sunday: Béziers - Cassafieres to Portiragnes
- Transfer to Roi Soleil, welcome on-board, and cocktails
- Navigate along the canal through a rural area with wetlands, a reserve for flamingoes and horses.
Day 2, Monday: Portiragnes to Fonserannes
- Cruising through the great locks of Fonseranne (9-lock staircase) and Béziers canal bridge. (Few hotel barges do so. It's an experience not to be missed).
- Excursion to the historical city of Pézenas (famed architecture, many artisans and antiques, plus an option to add a wine tasting at a prized property).
- OR an excursion to the impressive hill village of Roquebrun by the River Orb (possible to swim or kayak).
- AND / OR a visit to the pre-Roman Oppidum of Enserune, a major archaeological site with panoramic views of the surrounding valleys
- AND / OR visit Béziers historical center and shops.
Day 3, Tuesday: Fonserannes to Capestang
- Cruise into the heart of the historic village of Capestang.
- Private visit to the cistercian Abbey of Fontroide, one of the finest examples in France.
- OR excursion to the impressive hill village of Roquebrun (possible to swim or kayak).
- AND / OR wine tasting at the cellar of a top sommelier to Michelin starred chefs.
- AND / OR a visit a bull ranch with the opportunity to round up the bulls on horseback.
Day 4, Wednesday: Capestang to La Croisade or Somail
- Morning excursion to the charming City of Narbonne that was the Roman Capital of the early Gaulles – its vibrant food market – the famed art and roman archeology museums within the Bishop Palace - many shops and cafes on cobbled streets – a highlight of the week.
- Afternoon sailing to the peaceful country village of Somail with an impressive antique bookstore.
- Cruising beneath the smallest bridge in France with the largest boat on the canal.
Day 5, Thursday: Somail to Paraza
- Morning visit to the hill village of Minerve, which is a beautiful natural site with a dramatic history during the Crusades.
- Visit to prized olive oil mill, Oulibo, and a historic Languedoc village.
- An afternoon cruise to Paraza and mooring by an ancient canal bridge with views across the valley.
- A private wine tasting in a renown Minervois domain with up to 15 varietals.
Day 6, Friday: Paraza to Homps
- Visit to the fortified city of Carcassonne,Europe's largest Medieval Fortress. A great place to be transported into medieval history and a shopping opportunity.
- OR visit medieval village of Lagrasse and its artisans.
- Afternoon cruise to Homps with many locks.
Day 7, Saturday: Homps
- After a leisurely breakfast onboard, transfer to departure point.
- On alternate weeks, cruise will be in reverse direction.
- This is a sample itinerary and is subject to change.